Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Note from Raj

You must be proud that two of your pupils are in the final….

I am more than proud. They’ve learnt too much. Last year at Real Madrid when we played Barcelona we had dinner with Laporta and he told me that Rijkaard has learned a lot from me. After our 3-0 defeat I told Laporta that Rijkaard had learnt too much, so have Benitez and Ancelotti.

It is normal in the case of Carlo. After all he played for you. But Benitez went to learn your methods in his honeymoon, that’s stranger…

He came to see me work at Milanello and when I was with the Italian NT.
He is a great coach. He is showing that in a special football like English football. His biggest strength is that he can achieve much with very few top quality players. Gerrard is his most talented player, but he hasn’t got two like him. Liverpool are exemplary in two ways: their spirit and tactical organization. Benitez knows what he is doing. His team lacks talent, but they are a true team, compact, modern and with a great football culture. He’s work has been fantastic.

He has said no to Real Madrid again…

I know, I have read it. I believe Rafa is ready to coach Real Madrid or any club in the world. He is a master like very few, and when you have an encyclopaedia like him on the bench you have to trust the master. Rafa reminds me of myself when I was young. He is like me in some ways, but he has gone higher than me. He won the league and the UEFA Cup with Valencia. He arrived at Liverpool with a better CV than me when I arrived at Milan from Parma. I don’t share the opinion that Rafa can only coach teams without stars. If the star players don’t work hard they are worth nothing. You can see proof of that at Real Madrid last season.

= Arrigo Sacchi on Benitez.

This was sent to me from a good friend, an unfortunate Liverpool fan. I guess some people are still supporting him, but if I were a Scouse there would be a lot of questions I'd be asking right now. Arrigo Sacchi is famous for his time spent with AC Milan, back to back European Cups, some Serie A titles, and a handful of other trophies. He's pretty well respected, but I think he may be a little biased here. I don't doubt that Benitez is a good manager, but I think his time in Liverpool is probably up.

No comments: